Thursday, October 8, 2015

Hard Labor


It was an intense four days as always. I was in the vineyard until midnight and then back out before dawn. Picking grapes, pulling up netting, listening to the coyotes yippin and howling at the bottom of the slope.

The hardest part of harvest is assembling your crew. You're watching the sugars/acids and trying to predict when you'll pick, and hoping your crew will be able to make it on only about three days actual notice.

Thanks to my man Lionel we got a good crew and they really saved the day as always. Left to right: Lionel (sitting on my new platform scale), his dad Esteban (who helped me put in the vineyard back in '09), Panchito, Alex and Magdalena.

Panchito had picked grapes as a young man in California, and he put us all to shame. Lionel called him Matrix. I tried to study his technique but his hands were a blur and the buckets filled up faster than I could keep up.


No comments:

Post a Comment