Saturday, November 1, 2008

Laying Out the Rows


My vineyard book says to prepare the ground by turning the rows with a backhoe. I contact an excavator who has previously done a little work on the project. He meets me out at the property. Figures it’s a 3-day job. Probably cost $3,000. Acceptable.

Meanwhile, I get some stakes and some twine and some white marking paint and start laying out the rows. I decide to space them 10 feet apart, which is a little wider than most. I want to fill up as much space with as little work and expense as possible, and still have it look nice. There is some evidence that temperatures are slightly higher in tighter rows, say 7 feet apart, but I’ll live with that. There is an abundance of dark stone about, which is known to capture and hold heat.

First priority is to make sure the rows are straight. I run them north/south so they’ll capture maximum sunlight. I consider going east/west on the slope to avoid short rows, but I much prefer the symmetrical look of all the rows running the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment