Monday, August 24, 2009

My Last Hole


There were close to 2,500 holes dug for this vineyard, almost all of them by hand because of the rocky soil. This is my last one. For some reason one of the end posts was a foot off, so I decided to move it. I soon discovered why it had been put in the wrong place. There was a 600 lb rock sitting right where the post was supposed to go. But my motto is "the rocks can't win," so I spent 30 minutes digging a hole next to it and then using two pry bars to roll it over. The post is now in the right place.
After a summer of this, you get to know the nature of rocks pretty well. You get so you can tell the size, shape and orientation of a rock by the sound it makes when the the pry bar hits it. Rocks are tough, and heavy, but they have one big disadvantage: they can't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment